1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup
1 cup Karo syrup
1 1/2 C Peanut Butter
5 1/2 C GF Rice Chex
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips
5 1/2 C GF Rice Chex
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips
Warm sugar and Karo syrup in pot on stove until just barely bubbling. Once it comes to a bubble, remove from heat. Add in 1 1/2 cups peanut butter. Then add 5 1/2 cups GF Rice Chex. Stir together and pour into cake pan. Spread out into the pan. Melt butterscotch chips and chocolate chips together in a pot. Pour over the cereal mixture. I would cut these while they're still a little bit warm. Let set before serving.
A few notes:
I measured out 5 1/2 cups of Chex cereal in it's original unchopped size. Then I used my handy mix and chopper (Pampered chef tool) tool to smash the Chex cereal down to a smaller pieces before mixing it with the sugar/Karo/peanut butter mixture. This made for a nice consistency.
I use Hershey's Butterscotch chips as they are gluten friendly. Nestle uses barley to color their butterscotch chips, so they are not gluten friendly. I hear Kroger brand butterscotch chips are gluten friendly as well, but I have not tried them myself.
I used Nestle's chocolate chips.
An 8x8 pan makes pretty thick bars. You might have to double the batch to make a decent sized bar in a 9x13 pan as I think this recipe might be too thin if you try to stretch across a 9x13 pan. I could be wrong though. Maybe I'll have to make these again and find out. ;)
Side note: Here is an interesting article I came across in Sports Illustrated regarding gluten. This is the part that is really fascinating to me....."the digestive juices in your stomach are so corrosive to meat protein that if you dipped your finger in them, it would be down to the bone in 30 seconds—but the same juices can't polish off the gluten in a single crouton. Some parts of gluten have the digestibility of a rock...."
2 comments:
Proud of you!!! : )
Ha, ha, ha! Thanks, Nicole. I'm so addicted to them now! I've made them twice in the last three weeks and I'd love to make more. For some reason I always want to drink a diet coke when I eat a Scotchie. MMmmm. Yum!
Post a Comment