Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tubes

L had tubes put in both ears today. I was actually very calm about the whole thing. After his emergency testicular torsion surgery this summer, all other procedures are a breeze! I still worry a teeny tiny bit, for good measure, but not nearly as much as I would if I hadn't experienced the TT surgery. The facility where we had the tube procedure done was wonderful. It's a fairly new building that has a lodge feel to it. The decor and furnishings make a medical facility feel as homey as possible. The staff was outstanding. Our nurse had a little collection of toys in our room for L to play with before we arrived. She was careful not to get into L's personal space too much as he made it abundantly clear that he did not want her to. Ha! She got a wagon out for L to ride in. She padded it with warm blankets and pillows to keep him comfy. She didn't mind that L protested wearing the baby sized hospital gown, so we let him wander around in his diap and sock shoes. D took him for a wagon ride while we waited our turn. When our turn came the nurse pulled him down the hall in the wagon into surgery. L was oblivious to the fact that Daddy wasn't pulling the wagon any more until he came up to a group of people all dressed in green scrubs. I saw him look up and around at everyone, then he started to look back for D and I. Then the doors closed. I couldn't hear him cry when we didn't come after him, but I can imagine he probably did. D and I got our own private room to wait in. After about fifteen, twenty minutes I could hear L crying as they brought him down the hall. I stepped out the door and the nurses smiled 'cause they knew I recognized that cry. L did well in surgery, he took a little while to get out of the grouchiness afterwards, but he popped back to himself after a good nap at home. Such a little trooper! We'll see how things go in the days and weeks to come. Hopefully this will eliminate or drastically reduce the number of ear infections he gets!

As for the rest of us and our battle with this nasty respiratory flu...We're hangin in there. We're still getting over it. N had to miss another day of school because he got a temp yesterday afternoon. D made it through his first full day at work and I made it through the day with help from my Mom. So, we're making progress, but it's a slow recovery.

Stay well!!

No comments: