I have friends whose hubbies travel very frequently and some who's hubbies work TONS of hours. I've always said I don't know how they do it, but now I really, really don't know how they do it!! One of the difficult things about D's trips was that there was no good time to talk on the phone. The first week he was working on a machine out in the field for twelve plus hours a day. Then he'd go out to dinner with the customer and return to his hotel room to catch up on emails that he needed to answer for work. When he was in Vegas he was working a booth at Con Expo from six in the morning until six at night, then he was hosting (or helping to host) cocktail parties for a group he belongs to until ten or eleven at night! He was really good about trying to call me, but when he did I was making a meal or serving a meal or giving bathes or putting somebody to bed. Fortunately, my mom was here one of the times he called, so she watched the boys while I went upstairs and shut the bedroom door so we could catch up on a few things that required some decision making.
D started his travels on Monday March 14th. He headed to Shreveport, Louisiana to visit a customer with several machines that all had the same problem. He returned Friday March 18th. He was home long enough to empty his suitcase, clean his clothes and pack his suitcase again. He left Sunday morning the 20th for Con Expo in Las Vegas. He returned the following Sunday afternoon. Fortunately D doesn't travel very often, but when he does, it all seems to happen at the same time. I'm no gonna lie, having him gone that long was rough! The first week was fine, but by the middle of the second week, I was getting worn out and burnt out. And by Sunday night the 20th I was exhausted. Fortunately my Mom was a tremendous help! My sister came to "The States" while he was gone, so that gave me something great to look forward to. I had a sitter watch the boys a few hours on Saturday the 26th so I could get a few things done and so I could have some time to myself. My parents came to the house to see my sister when she was here. And, although the boys did pretty well with it, I think they were a bit confused having so many people in and out of the house so much. So, on Sunday the 27th when D returned, L wasn't sure who he was. N knew who he was and said, "Daddy!!" After N said that, L knew who he was. D was supposed to work on Monday the 28th (after only being home for a few hours on Sunday), but we both realized we really needed a day to recoop. I'm not kidding when I say I was exhausted. I convinced D to let me sleep in Monday morning (until 8) and I took a one hour nap that afternoon. We didn't do much but hang out, eat meals and watch a movie that night. Oh, and D took the boys for tractor rides. Tuesday morning we both woke up rested, rejuvenated and ready to face the world. And now we're digging ourselves out of laundry piles and other things that I just did not have time to get done when I was home alone. But, honestly, I am doing all these things with a happy heart knowing my guy is back in town!
No comments:
Post a Comment