Tuesday, August 7, 2012

S'more Please

There are certain times of the year when I miss some of the normal gluten and dairy filled foods I used to it. A traditional s'more made with graham crackers, a chocolate bar and a marshmallow is one thing I really miss in the summer time. This year it seems S'mores are all the rage. Remember when cupcakes and cupcake pops were the fad food? Lots of people were getting creative with cupcakes and cupcakes pops and blogging about it. So fun. Well, I get the sense that S'mores and all the variations of S'mores are the new cupcake. Like pink is the new black...did I say that right? Anyway. I've enjoyed seeing what people have done with chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers/bananas, cookie dough on pinterest. So, we've tried a few variations ourselves the last few weeks.

We started out with the banana, mini choco chip and mini mallow wrapped in foil and grilled. We started ours on the grill, but finished them in the oven. And while our's did not look as pretty as the ones on Pinterest, they tasted super good.

Our next shot at S'more was one I altered to be GFDF from a recipe I saw on Pinterest. I use the following.

One box GFDF sugar cookie mix
Two dark chocolate bars
Mini marshallows

Mix the sugar cookie mix together as directed (using almond milk and DF butter). Spread half the cookie dough on the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan. Place dark chocolate  bars on top of cookie dough. Then add a layer of marshmallows on top of the chocolate. Then "hide" (as my boys said) the mallows with the remainder of the cookie dough. I cooked this at 325 for about 35 minutes. For some reason GFDF baking mixes tend to instruct you to bake things at 325 rather than 350. Not sure why. I'm sure it's something scientific.At any rate, the S'more cookie bars are absolutely delicious!!!

I still have one more S'more recipe I'd like to try and that is to dip the super huge marshmallows in dark chocolate and cover them with crushed graham crackers (for the gluten eaters) and crushed cinnamon chex (for the non gluten eaters). I got to thinking, the large marshmallow could be somewhat of a candied apple deal where you can cover them in just about anything you want....chocolate and mini choco chips, chocolate and M&M's....chocolate and chopped cashews...Caramel and cashews..You name it. My only concern would be if the mallow could hold up to the weight of the things your putting on it...Sounds like something to experiment with!

No comments: