We survived the big move. We could not have done it without all the help we got from friends and family. N's grandparents were super helpful in watching N while we directed the people helping us move and while we moved stuff ourselves. Our friends were moving things so quickly I never got a real good head count of everyone there, but I'd guess we had 15 people show up! All fifteen people worked very well together and things ran very smoothly and rapidly. We started loading trucks at 9am and were done unloading the last box at the new house around 11:30. I took a picture of everyone's vehicles parked on the street (will post soon). It looked like we were taking over the neighborhood. It's been a long time since I have seen that many humungous pick up trucks in one location. I got a kick out of the guys checking out each other's trucks. I think it was a macho contest. One guy mentioned that he cleaned his truck before he came to our house that morning....Aren't you only supposed to clean your truck before you go to prom?? D and I would like to so a huge thank you to everyone who helped us. We truely appreciate it!!
The morning of the move D and I realized we hadn't packed our main storage room in the basement of our old house... Oops! The guys who helped us move were great about throwing things into boxes and moving things as best they could , but we really had to pack those items ourselves. So I spent the last couple of days pitching, sorting and packing that room. Let me tell you, by this time in a move I am ready to Goodwill as much as possible! Even though that room was a bear to clean out I did it and we have it all out of the old house.
I have cleaned the old house. D has patched holes and started painting touch ups here and there.
D put out a ton of garbage this morning for the garbage man to take. We still have a couple more loads to get rid of. We have several days before we officially close on our old house, so we have time to finish up our to do list and say one last good bye.
We are doing pretty well at getting unpacked in our new house. We have all the essential items in their new places. We're still getting used to where everything is, but it's all coming together. We are working on unpacking boxes that are still in the garage. I got a big chunk of it done last night. Now most of what we have left to sort through and organize are garage and outdoor items. D is working on setting up shelves in the garage so we can get that done.
N is getting used to the new house. He plays really well in the common areas (living room, kitchen, play room), but is scared of his room. For some reason he doesn't like the door to be closed. He cries when we lay him down for naps and bed time. He usually says "go home, go home" while he's crying. I feel really bad that he's scared in his new room. I have been making a point to spend time playing in his room with him so he feels comfortable. Tonight we are making a point of hanging all his pictures, decorations and drapes. We hope this will make the room more familiar to him so he's not scared anymore. I'm anxious for his new mini blinds to arrive. N has been waking up at 5:30 every morning when it starts to get light out because we don't have anything to fully cover his window yet. I don't want him to start a new routine of getting up at 5:30 every morning!! Those are farmer's hours and I don't exactly operate on farmer's hours. :)
Other than that we are excited to get back to normal life. Working on house stuff and moving stuff has consumed me for several weeks. It has taken up so much time that N and I haven't been to a playdate-like activity in weeks. We've been to the gym pretty often, so he's played with kids there, but we haven't had much of a social life for a long time. We went a playdate with friends this morning. N had sooo much fun!! He was running and jumping around and laughing. He loved it! We drove through McDonald's for lunch on the way home. I try not to do this too often, but I guess I do it often enough that N knows what we're doing because right after I placed my order in the little speaker I hear "fra fies, fra fies" coming from the backseat. Too cute!
Thanks again and take care.
-C
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment