Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Vacation days

My sister (JV) was in town after her seven month journey around the world. She was in "The States" for about three weeks and spent part of that time with me. D offered to take a few days off of work so I could spend time with JV and so he could get a few things done around the house. Last Sunday I road the train to "The City" to meet JV. We stayed there over night and got home later in the evening Monday night. The train ride was nice and quiet. I really enjoyed the quietness, the time to read magazines, and the music I loaded on my phone. I even got my own seat of the majority of the ride. JV met me at the train station and drove me to our hotel. She drove a rental car and had a rental navigation system. That was very handy! I'd never used a navigation system before. ( I think it was a Garmin). JV chose the preprogrammed woman with the British accent to guide us through town. We jokingly called her Eleanor. Our hotel was really close to great shopping, so we parked the car and walked everywhere. We enjoyed window shopping and eating out at The Cheesecake Factory. We shared a delicious salad and a pear, feta (or was it gouda?), onion and greens pizza. We then shared two pieces of cake. We barely put a dent in the cake, so we figured out a way to take it home with us. We walked along Lakeshore Drive the next morning. We had gorgeous weather and blue skies. I really enjoyed walking by the water, seeing the skyline and visiting with JV. Then we headed to the burbs to hit an outlet mall and Trader Joes. I found a few new things at TJ's that I like (dark choc covered cranberries, chewy choc chip cookies, mango chicken sausages, pretzel hoagie buns, etc). It was a wonderful day. It was the break I really needed. I felt rejuvinated and ready to head home to take care of the boys.

(Sorry if the next part bores you. I'm writing it out mostly for my memories of JV's visit.)
It's a good thing we slept in and had fun in The City while we did because we did a lot of fun stuff the rest of the week. Tuesday was a pretty morning so we went for a long walk and let the boys play at a nearby park. I honestly can't remember what we did the rest of the day other than make homemade pizzas. (Darn, I can't believe I'm already forgetting what we did!) N's orientation for preschool was on Wednesday. JV went shopping that morning during the orientation, D watched L. N and I met up with JV and ate lunch with her at Panera. We then headed to local farm/park to play. That was fun. N really likes that place. There's just enough to do and see w/o being overwhelming. JV headed to our parents' house that night for a fish fry. D kept L on Thursday while JV, Grandpa and I took N to the local Children's Museum. Friday was another girls' day. My mom kept both boys because D left town for a tractor show. JV and I did a little last minute shopping before meeting a college friend for lunch then we went to the spa for some spa treatments. JV and my mom were nice enough to stay the night at our house. The next morning JV did some final shopping, I took a nap (L was up three times the night before. Ugh!) I can't remember what we did that day, but that night my family all came over to out for pizza. JV headed out Saturday night with my parents. She spent a day and half with our other sister and her family Sunday and Monday and flew home Monday afternoon. We always look forward to JV's visits! We enjoy the time we get to spend with her and are always sad that it goes by so quickly!



1 comment:

JvD said...

Don't forget the impromptu pool 'party' you hosted ;) Had a !great time