Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween activities and the Candy Fairy

We are doing lots of fun things for Halloween this year. There are so many activities in our areafor Halloween it's hard to choose which ones to do.Last Thursday a friend hosted a painting pumpkins play date at her home. The weather was gorgeous, so the kids painted their pump
kins outside. N wasn't interested in painting his, so I didn't force him to do it. I enjoyed watching the other kids decorate their's with paint, glitter, feathers, foam stickers, etc. N admired their work when they were done, but he still wasn't interested in painting one. (I think it's because we painted pumpkins at home a couple days before.)

We did a "witch's walk" at N's favorite park last weekend. It was our first time to do that. It was so fun! The children dressed up in their costumes. The park was decked with orange lights, witches, pumpkins and wooden Halloween
figures. So cool. Adults dressed up as witches or g
houls were stationed throughout the park for the children to trick or treat to. The barn, bridge, chicken coop (minus the chicken. ha!) were all decorated as not-so-scarey haunted houses. The bridge was my favorite. It was filled with white fab
ric and black lights. We'll definitely do that again next year.

N had his party at school. I wasn't sure I was going to make it to this party because of L's nap time. It's hard making it to preschool stuff with L's nap tim
e the time it's at, but I'm getting more and more creative with ways to make it work out. This time I asked D to work from home that morning so I could go. He was very understanding and started to work from home. L ended up sleeping late
r than usual that morning, so we decided L would be able to stay awake long enough to attend the party and D headed to work earlier than expected. We had fun. L really enjoyed being there. The preschool children wore their costumes to school that day. They paraded from their class room to their snack tables. The parents watched the parade. L liked the parade and tried to join it (see pic below). The kids had snack time then Jesus Time. L wanted to be a part of those activities as well. I enjoyed the party, but I also found it interesting to see how N's doing in a class setting. I am really impressed with how well he walked in line with the other kids during the parade, he sat in his chair during snack and listened during Jesus Time. He's coming a long way! I remember wanting to take him to story time at the library a year ago and deciding not to because I knew he couldn't sit still. Now he can. Good job, kiddo. :)


Thursday night we went trick or treating at the high school. This is such a neat event the high school puts on every year. They always have several games in the gymnasium and the kids get to trick or treat through the hallways of the high school. The foods class makes hundreds of pumpkin shaped sugar cookies and the children get to decorate them with frosting and sprinkles.

We made chocolate covered pretzels at a friends house Friday afternoon. This was so much fun. It was just my friend and I and our children. N does so well in this type of setting. It is much more likely that he will do a craft when the group size is smaller. My friend has a daughter N's age. They did a great job of sharing the pretzels, chocolate and candy molds. They were both creative with their candy color choices. So cute. This turned out to be a good craft because the kids made them easily with a small-ish mess and the craft was edible and ready to eat in about 15 minutes. We even hada few pretzels to take home with us.

This morning was my Mom's group Halloween party. N and I attending this without D and L...err should I say Thing One and Fish?? We were sad they had to miss (due to L's nap time), but it was nice to spend one on one time with N. The party was really nice and well organized. There are several women in my group who were teachers before deciding to stay at home. I think their class room party planning experience was very beneficial for this event! The kids played pin the heart on the skeleton, listened as one Mom read Halloween books, broke open a pinata, ate breakfast and trick or treated. So fun! We are so lucky to be a part of such a great Mom's group!

Tomorrow is our community wide trick or treating. I think we're going to do it, but at this point I'm getting Halloween'd out. I think N really wants to trick or treat, though. He keeps asking when we're going to trick or treat at "the houses."

So, with all of these Halloween activities comes a ton of candy!!! After a hugely hyperactive day of consuming a small amount of gummy candy and skittles, I have determined that N is very sensitive to candies with certain food dyes in them....Anyway..more on that later...But we needed to figure out a way to get the candy out of the house that is fun for N. So, this year the "Candy Fairy"is coming to our house. N gets to keep any snack items such as pretzels, raisins, graham cracker or animal crackers. He gets to keep any trinkets or treasures.
He gets to choose five pieces of candy to keep. All other candy is left outside his bedroom door in his trick or treat bucket at night. The candy fairy comes to our house, takes the candy and replaces it with a gift. I talked to N about it in depth the other day. I told him the Candy Fairy comes to your house. You leave your bag of candy outside your bedroom door with a note on it. You can leave a note that says "Candy Fairy please take my candy in exchange for a
gift" or you can leave a note that says "Candy Fairy, do not take my candy. I want to keep it." At first he told me to tell the Candy Fairy to leave his candy. He said, "Mom. Write the candy
fairy a note that she can NOT take my candy!!" After much thought he changed his mind. So, the candy fairy went shopping and got him an inexpensive Dr Seuss movie, bubble bath (N's been wanting bubble bath for a long time), a glow stick and Tinkerbell vitamins...We needed the vitamins anyway, but the candy fairy thought they were cute enough to put in his treat bag. ;) The Candy Fairy considered purchasing a Tinkerbell doll for N since he loves that movie right now, but that idea got veto-ed very quickly during a phone conversation with Daddy. :) So, we'll see how this goes. Hopefully N will find his decision was worth it...



No comments: