Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Breakfast picnic

This week (Nov 21st-25th) started out a little different than other weeks. Both boys woke up coughing Monday morning. L's cough was lingering from the past six weeks. Ugh! (It's mostly gone now and it's Wednesday night). N's cough was new on Monday. One thing I always do when the boys wake up coughing in the morning is to get them some humidity to try to loosen things up in their chests. As I lay in bed listening to them cough (one on the monitor and the other across the hall), I decided to try to start the week off as fun as we could given the circumstances. So, I hurried up and collected some breakfast for the boys and I. I grabbed a pop up picnic tray, some drinks, a big beach towel and our nebulizer (we've gotten our money's worth outta that puppy!!). I headed to the master bath and set up a picnic. I set up breakfast, cranked up the nebulizer and started the shower. By the time I got the boys into the bathroom it was nice and steamy. So, we had a nice little picnic to start off our week. While it wasn't exactly breakfast in bed, it was fun. The kids thought it was kinda cute, even though they complained that one wanted toast instead of a cereal bar and the other didn't like the way his yogurt tube was cut....Ugh.

Tuesday N had his Thanksgiving feast at school. He was excited to wear a Pilgrim hat. He said some kids wore pilgrim hats and some wore Native American (although I think he called them Indians) in and effort to reinact the first Thanksgiving dinner. So cute! His school does a lot of really fun, inexpensive, educational things. N really enjoys all that fun stuff. Last week they celebrated the 60th day of school. Every time they hit a day that ends in a zero, "Zero the Hero" or his buddy "Side kick" visit the classroom. This week Sidekick brought donuts to school. So fun!

The kids got out of school early on Tuesday and got the whole day today (Wednesday) off in honor of Thanksgiving. I lined up a babysitter to come for the afternoon on Tuesday. She got N off the bus while I was gone. She's so terrific! I got a good start on my Christmas shopping while she was here. It feels good to have a good chunk of my to-do's done.

As I mentioned above, N had today (Wednesday) off. I really wanted to do something fun with the boys, but with their coughs I decided it wasn't a good idea. So we stayed home, exercised and played. We made a really fun tent, streamers and wall art included. We played the Wii, made things out of Legos and Bristol blocks and actually got to play outside for a bit. Late in the morning L started acting super clingly to me. I was kind of annoyed by it, but I did my best to be patient with him and I'm glad I did as his ear is acting up again. Ugh!!!! I gave him some meds for it and put him down for a nap. He slept for 45 minutes and woke up screaming. His ear ruptured again. Ick!! Called the pediatrician. They had one cancellation this afternoon, so they were able to get us in, thank goodness! The doctor gave us more meds (two antibiotic shots, poor L!!). I'm not sure what Thanksgiving holds for us. We'll see how the boys do tonight and tomorrow. Whatever happens, we'll do our best to celebrate the holiday as best we can.

No comments: