I found a gluten free website I like called "The Gluten-Free Homemaker. I made her meatlaof and meatball recipes and both turned out good. I like her use of instant potato flakes instead of gluten free breadcrumbs. I keep the heels of my gluten free loaves of bread in my freezer for the purpose of grinding them into bread crumbs. I also keep them with the thought of making a gluten free french toast casserole someday when I have accumulated enough pieces of bread. However, it is nice to eliminate the step of thawing the GF bread and grinding it in my mini food processor when I'm throwing together a meatloaf or meatballs. N has recently decided he no longer cares for sandwiches in his school lunch, so I'm hoping to get a "main dish" such as these meatballs into his lunch. I
I bought my first jar of Sunbutter last week. The boys and I eat quite a bit of peanut butter. And while we like peanut butter, I thought it would be fun to mix things up a bit. I really, really like the Sunbutter! It tastes good scooped with apples, carrots or bananas. I haven't tried cooking or baking with it yet, but I bet you can.
I have replaced cashews in my trail mix with Pepitas. I really like them. They give a nice salty flavor to a trail mix of raisins, Craisins and chocolate chips. Mmmm. Good, easy afternoon snack.
My MIL gave me a big bag of GF products for Christmas and I've been having fun trying everything in the bag. (Thanks again, K). So far I'm really impressed with the quinoa. I made it for dinner one night as a savory side. I wasn't sure what D would think of it, but he liked it! Yay! I also made quinoa for breakfast one morning with brown sugar, raisins and ground flax seed. The batch I cooked turned out to make more than I thought it would, so it lasted me a few mornings. It kept really well and tasted good reheated. I saw quinoa flakes at the store that I'd like to try in place of my cream of rice some day.
I'm in love with Almond milk! I hate to admit it, but I think I'm sensitive not only to gluten, but also to dairy and soy. Eek! This observation has led me to almond milk and I'm glad I tried it 'cause it is really good! I'd like to try coconut milk sometime. I hear chocolate coconut milk is quite delicious.
Now that winter has officially settled in and we can't play outside as much, I have gotten back into finding indoor activities for the boys to do. I returned to making what I was calling activity boxes for the boys. Turns out, after some research, they are called Sensory boxes/tubs. I found several really fun ideas online for using various materials to make Sensory boxes. The boys are currently playing with boxes that have oats, rice and corn flour in them. The corn flour is quite messy and I don't think I will do it again in the future, but the boys love it because it is a great material for scooping, dumping and piling. My next Sensory Box is going to be Valentine themed. I purchased some plastic heart shaped gems, a few artificial red roses, red ice cube trays, a magnifying glass and red cotton balls to put in there. I have rounded up some other random red toys to put in their boxes. I'm excited for the boys to try it!
D and I recently started watching the Big Bang Theory. The show has been on for a few years, but we'd never seen it. We stumbled across it one night and just loved it. We are currently playing catch up on the last couple years worth of episodes, so we have enough shows DVR-ed to watch one (or more) every night. We were joking last night that the episodes are like potato chips (chocolate chips for me). Once you watch one, you want to watch a hundred of them. It's super funny. Check it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment