I've been a Mommy (don't call me Mom, I'm too young) for several years now. There have been numerous (countless, really) times when I've been in a situation that made me appreciate my Mom (and Dad) soo much more! Those moments have made me appreciate how hard my parents worked to get us everything we needed (and most of what we wanted). Those moments help me appreciate how much time they spent
with us (extra curricular) and
on us (cleaning uniforms, making lunches, planning trips,etc). And now, I realize that the planning and preparation for normal daily activity takes time too. It takes a lot of thought to keep things together.Personally, I do a lot of that thinking when I've doing mindless chores such as dishes and laundry. Sometimes I get so deep into what I'm thinking about that I tune out what's going on around me. Specific example? Last night. I was doing dishes and my train of thought went something like this.."Okay, so N missed school today because he had fever less than 24 hours before the start of the school day...If I take his temp tonight and he has a fever I'll have to keep him home from school again. Should I take him to the doctor tomorrow or wait it out? Oh, but tomorrow's Friday and if I let this go over the weekend we might have to go to ped's after hours...We haven't had much luck with ped's after hours on this type of illness...But if I take N to the Dr tomorrow, L will have to go with us and he could get exposed to germs at the Dr's office... I wonder if D could come home early and watch L while I take N...." Etc, etc. Then I hear a sound from the living that sounds like, "Mo-om." I say, "Wha-at?" And I quickly realize I just responded to the high pitch ramblings of Curious George on the TV, not that of my child. I stop, laugh and am immediately thrown back to a moment in high school when my Mom did the same thing!
We watched Lassie most mornings before school while we ate breakfast. Mom would bring our comforters from our rooms, drape them on our chairs and wrap us up in them. Then she would open the cereal cabinet, ask us what we wanted and make us a bowl of cereal..Gosh we were spoiled!!....Anyway! On this particular morning, my sisters and I were snuggled in our comforters cozily (is that a word?) eating our breakfast watching the kitchen television. When the opening for Lassie came on,
and the memorable "Laaaassiie" came on (click here for video), Mom responded in the same sing songy voice with a "Wha-at." My sisters and laughed so hard we nearly spit out our cereal. It's one of those moments where you probably had the be there to know how funny it was, but it makes me laugh every time I think about it. I can also relate to it! Mom must have been in a deep train of thought trying to keep all the days' activities organized...Or she just wasn't caffeinated yet. Whatever it was. It's a funny memory and it makes me appreciate my parents.
No comments:
Post a Comment