Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sweet Idea

Bed Rest Day 10

I have recently made a few online purchases. Man, is it easy to shop online! Maybe too easy. I'm excited to receive the packages in the mail, so I check the front porch a couple times a day to see if they have arrived.....Side note... Our package carriers (UPS, FED EX, US Postal Service) all used to ring the doorbell every time they left a package on our door step. It never failed that one of these package carriers would make a delivery during nap time. And, as every stay at home mom knows...Nap time is so precious! It's the time we get things done or take a nap ourselves. So whenever the doorbell rang I would jump to answer it in both excitement and frustration. I was excited to receive my package, but frustrated at the thought that the mail person woke my sleeping toddler. So, for quite some time I hung a homemade laminated (therefore weather proof) sign on the front door reading "Child sleeping, please knock" in hopes that my orders would be left quietly at my door. Well, it worked! I have all my delivery personnel "trained." Ha! They no longer ring the doorbell and if they need me to sign for a package, they knock.
Great!!....Anyway, this is why I don't hear a box being left at my house even though I'm home....

Well, as I preparing to go upstairs to get a few things done this morning, I checked the front door to make sure it was locked and I peeked out the window to look for any potential packages. And there was one! Yay! Could it be the diaper bag I ordered or the books I bought?? No, it's addressed to both D and I and it's from 'Old Time Candy Company." Hmmm... This sounds yummy! I lifted it to take it inside and realized it's a bit weightier than I anticipated. I check the mailing information and it says it's slightly over five pounds. Wow, five pound of candy??? Could it be? I debated about waiting until D gets home from work to open it...for like 10 seconds, then I got the scissors out and tore into it. My reasoning? My toddler was a little on the difficult side this morning. I deserve to open this package! After scooping out the packing peanuts and removing the bag-o-candy from the box I find the note inside. It's from my sister and her hubby (who live overseas). She says" I hope this candy brings back good memories of the pool, walking home from school, football and basketball games and trips to our local caramel corn store. Your friends might like to try their old favorites again, too." So sweet! My sister and her hubby recently left for an extended trip "down under" in Australia. She emailed me as she was packing and said part of her wished she was packing to come to my house to hang out with me and to help me out while I'm on bed rest...That was very thoughtful and sweet of her, but I said.. No! You go on your trip, savor every moment and send me pictures. You would be far too bored laying around with me. :) As I look at the packing list spelling out each candy sent I do have memories linked to some of them....and I figuratively "have my name on a few" that I for sure want to eat!! (Thanks, sis! What a fun gift idea! I'll share them with my friends.)

Bottle Caps: My twin sister loves these
Charleston Chews: Snack time at the pool every summer
Combos: D and I had a roommate who ate Combos and a Mt Dew for BREAKFAST every morning! Yuck!
Cow Tales: The Dairy Barn in our home town
Mr. Goodbar: Mom and I always called dibs on Mr. Good bars when we bought those bags of assorted miniature sized candy bars.
Pez Dispenser: N will love this... We'll use this for potty training.
Teaberry Gum: My Grandma loved this gum. My mom searched to the ends of the earth for this gum every year at Christmas to put it in Grandma's stocking.
Zero: Another favorite pool snack
Whatchamacallit: A candy bar I'd buy walking home from school sometimes. This one definitely has my name on it!!

The only candy bar I would say is missing is a PB Max. Remember those? Aaah, man those were so good! They had a cookie bottom, peanut butter middle and were covered in chocolate. Delish!!! What candy memories do you have? Fun thing to think about, isn't it.


I added the coffee cup to the picture to give you an idea of how big this bag of candy is.

This package of sweets comes on a day that I'd like to celebrate. Today we've made it through 34 weeks of pregnancy. Yay! I'd like to celebrate the fact that, while bed rest has it's pros and cons, it is working. I have gone from having 20-30 contractions per day (that's one contraction every 20-30 minutes) to having 5-10 contractions per day. I'm grateful that we've been able to reduce the amount of contractions w/o meds thus far.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I remember PB Max! What a nice gift for your sister to send. Not only is it good but it is full of memories!