Monday, November 29, 2010

Medical Moment

As I look back through the blog, and as D and I recall from memory, Thanksgiving is the time of year we're almost always sick. Well, this year is no exception. In fact, one of the four of us has been sick in some way at some point since October 22nd! That's five weeks straight! I was the one who started this yucky, sick mess. I got a nasty infection on my scalp. I won't go into too many gory details, but I will say I was misdiagnosed with Shingles. I freaked out! The treatment for that made the rash worse, so I was put on another treatment, to which I had a horrific allergic reaction to. All of that took place over the first two weeks of the last five weeks. Then the boys started getting little coughs and runny noses that were simple colds at first. What was a simple cold turned into Bronchitis for N, when N and his classmates were allowed to play outside in mid thirty degree weather for gym time two days in a row at school. N's cold turned into a nasty cough over night. It hit him like a ton of bricks. L had had a cough/cold, too and he took a turn for the worse, so I took both boys to the doctor. That's when I found out N had bronchitis and L had a double ear infection. We got the boys on antibiotics, a liquid steroid and breathing treatments. The liquid steroid the boys were on made N insanely hyper. Hyper active, hyper sensitive, you name it. It was awful. I mean awful. He was literally bouncing off the walls. He could not control himself he was hyper! So, after a full day of talking it over with N's doctor, I took him off of it. And, amazingly, N returned to himself after about twelve hours of being off the med. It was incredible. The boys were healthy for two and a half days, Thanksgiving Eve, Thanksgiving and half of Black Friday. Then, out of nowhere, L started holding his tummy and throwing up about every two hours. He was sick for a little over twenty four hours then I got it. And wow, did I get it! Man, did I feel awful all night Sunday night. I guess it's the flu. Towards the middle of the night Sunday night N got it. By morning we were all down for the count! L wasn't, be he'd already had it, but D, N and I all had it. I knew D and N weren't feeling well because both of them laid on the couch together for several hours. N even took a long nap. I stationed myself in the basement with L and did the best I could to play with him. That little booger almost wore me out! I was so glad when his nap time rolled around so I could get some rest on the couch. One way I knew I didn't feel well? The food commercials on TV grossed me out. Even Olive Garden. I love OG, but watching OG commercials when you're sick is not appealing! Even chocolate commercials got to me. It's almost ten at night now and I think we're out of the woods....knock on wood! D and I still feel a little weak, but I think the worst is over. Now maybe we'll all get healthy enough so we can go get our flu shots! Ha!






No comments: