N is really into Dr Seuss stuff right now. We went to the library and checked out five Dr. Seuss books and a Dr. Seuss movie. I found a fun science related activity online so we did tried it. We read Dr. Seuss's "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" book. Then we made Oobleck. I had no idea how much N would love making and playing with this gooey stuff. It only took a couple minutes to stir together and it was very inexpensive, but it was very messy. It was worth it, though. N and I played with it for about forty five minutes and N keeps asking when we can make more. The recipe is below. I don't know what the actual science is behind it, but somehow when you mix corn starch and water together in these amounts, it makes a material that is both semi-solid and semi-liquid. You can punch it in the bowl and it doesn't splash, but when you break through it with your fingers and scoop it up it turns back into a liquid. So cool. Try it. It's fun!
Oobleck
2 cups of corn starch
3 drops of green food coloring
Enough water to make a thick mixture (1 to 1.5 cups)
Mix all ingredients together. I would suggest using a bowl that you don't mind throwing away.



No comments:
Post a Comment